International Community - Your Network of Opportunities

Tax Card

If you move to Denmark, you are liable to pay tax, in Danish Skat, and you will need a tax card. The authority that issues tax cards and collects tax in Denmark is called Skattestyrelsen. You can read more about Skattestyrelsen on the authority’s homepage

Your tax card states your CPR number or your tax ID number, your address, the percentage of tax that your employer is required to deduct from your salary, your tax allowances and deductions, and the date from which the tax card is valid. The tax card in Denmark is an e-card. This means that once you have registered with Skattestyrelsen, your employer can access information about your taxation percentage electronically.

Please note, however, that although your employer can access your tax information electronically, it is your responsibility to check that the information on your tax card is accurate.

The Danish tax card is divided into two parts - a primary card and a secondary card. The two cards state the same information. The difference is that the primary card is used by your main employer, and the secondary card is only used if you have an extra job.

You can also read about taxation in Denmark in the tax guide published by Skattestyrelsen, “Tax in Denmark - An introduction to the Danish tax system for non-Danish speakers”.

Why do you need a Danish tax card?

When you are liable to pay tax in Denmark, you must report your income(s) and/or property to Skattestyrelsen. It is your responsibility to inform Skattestyrelsen about your financial situation - both incomes in and outside of Denmark.

How much you have to pay in tax depends on your income as well as a number of other factors, such as whether you are paying interest on a loan or loans, whether you own property, etc. Your tax card states the percentage of tax you are required to pay.

How to obtain a Danish tax card?

When you are working and getting paid in Denmark, you must pay income tax. You can see the amount of tax you must pay on your tax card. You can obtain a tax card by filling out the online application form

This form is used for obtaining a personal tax number and/or a tax card, which you will need when earning income in Denmark. The tax card contains information about your withholding rate, your monthly tax-free allowances and deductions. When you have obtained a tax card, it will be sent directly to your employer.

It is also possible to receive guidance by tax professionals at the International Citizen Service, which has offices in Aalborg, Aarhus, Copenhagen and Odense.

More information about working in Denmark is available at Your guide to working in Denmark.

Who can get a Danish tax card?

Everyone who is legally residing and/or working in Denmark can get a Danish tax card.

When to obtain a Danish tax card?

You should report your income to SKAT upon arrival in Denmark. If you start working without having a Danish tax card, your employer is obliged to deduct 55 percent of your pay as provisional tax.

Contacts and further information

You can only get personal assistance by a special appointment. This will be granted once Skattestyrelsen has identified that they cannot provide a solution via the website or on the phone. Therefore if you have any issues you need to call Skattestyrelsen on the above phone number.

If you live in the Aarhus area, you can also meet representatives of Skattestyrelsen at International Citizen Service. Note, however, that Skattestyrelsen's primary function here is issuing tax cards, not answering personal questions relating to tax. 

International Community cookies policy uses cookies. By using this website you accept our use of cookies.

You can always delete saved cookies by adjusting the settings in your browser. Read our cookies policy.

Accept cookies