International Community - Your Network of Opportunities

CPR Number

What is a CPR number?

CPR stands for Det Centrale Personregister, which translates to the Civil Registration System.

A CPR number is a personal identification number which, among other things, facilitates accurate linkage between all Danish national registers.

Your CPR number consists of ten digits. The first six digits are your date of birth, and the last four are your unique identification number. The last digit of your CPR number indicates your sex. If it is an odd digit you are male, and if it is an even digit you are female. For example, if your CPR number is 220550-6218, you were born on 22 May 1950 and you are female.

You can read more about the Civil Registration System at the CPR website.

Why do you need a CPR number?

Residents of Denmark are legally required to have a CPR number. You will also notice that your CPR number grants your access to a number of services in Denmark. You will need it in order to open a bank account, get a Danish phone number, borrow books at the library, take out insurance, etc.

When do you need a CPR number?

Non-EU/EEA citizens who intend to stay in Denmark for more than three months are required to register with the Danish Civil Registration System upon arrival.

Nordic citizens, citizens of EU and EEA countries and Switzerland are required to register with the Danish Civil Registration System and obtain a CPR number within six months of their arrival in Denmark.

Where to get a CPR number?

You get a CPR number when you register with the Danish Civil Registration System at Citizens’ Services in the Municipality you live. In Aarhus, Copenhagen, Odense, and Aalborg you can register at International Citizen Service.

How to get a CPR number?

In order to register and be issued a CPR number, you need to show up in person at Citizens’ Services in the Municipality in which you live. This also applies to accompanying spouses and/or children.

To obtain a CPR number you must have an address in Denmark. You must also present a variety of documents depending on your current civil status (see below). Please note that if your documents are not in Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, English or German, you must bring a certified translation of them.

At Citizens’ Services you will be asked for:
  • Your Danish residence and work permit (non-EU/EEA citizens), or certificate of registration (for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens). Nordic citizens must bring proof of their Nordic personal identification number, e.g. your passport
  • Some form of photo ID, e.g. your passport
  • If you are married, your marriage certificate or a certified copy of it
  • If you have children, your child/children’s birth certificate(s)
  • If you are divorced, your divorce certificate
  • If you are a widow/widower, the death certificate of your husband/wife

Contacts and further information

If you have any questions about the CPR number, contact Citizens’ Services in the Municipality where you live. You can find the address and phone number of your Municipality Citizens’ Services here.

If you live in Aarhus, you can meet service assistants from Citizens’ Services and get assistance acquiring a CPR number in International Citizen Service.

For more information about the International Citizen Service Aarhus, go to International Citizen Service.

International Community cookies policy uses cookies. By using this website you accept our use of cookies.

You can always delete saved cookies by adjusting the settings in your browser. Read our cookies policy.

Accept cookies