A Tale of Two Tivoli's
Despite both amusement parks sharing the same name, Tivoli Gardens is located in Copenhagen, and Tivoli Friheden is located in Aarhus. Both have an array of rollercoaster rides, restaurants, and gardens. Yet, both have different histories. Let’s find out more about them!
Tivoli Gardens is located in the centre of Copenhagen. It is considered the second oldest operating amusement park in the world. It opened its doors on August 15th, 1843 by Georg Carstensen who was granted permission from the reigning king. Carstensen introduced a year later the Tivoli Youth Guard, which is still in service today. As the years went by, new venues within Tivoli Gardens were built catering to the interests of the public. For example, pantomimes were popular at that time period, and subsequently, the Peacock Theatre was built. It is the oldest building at Tivoli Gardens. As time progressed, more rides and entrances were built in order to allow accessibility.
Tivoli Gardens still has one of the oldest wooden rides in the world. It is still in use today and operated by a brake man as was customary back then. During the second World War, some facilities were burned down and destroyed, including some of the gardens. After the war, Walt Disney visited Tivoli on numerous occasions inspiring him to create his own amusement park, Disneyland. Throughout the years, Tivoli has expanded by erecting new venues, creating new rollercoaster rides, and restaurants.
For more on Tivoli Gardens, read here.
It is important to keep in mind that these two Tivoli's are not the same. The closest translation to Tivoli in English is amusement park, or carnaval. The history of Tivoli Friheden is much more concise. It is located in the scenic Marselisborg Forest, just south of Aarhus. Tivoli Friheden began as a meeting point where the local forester would sell refreshments to people visiting the forest. As a result, Restaurant Terrassen was opened in 1903. Visitors frequented the area and as the years went by, events were held and attractions were built, such as pedal boats and a mini golf course. Eventually it was bought by the city of Aarhus, who owns it today.
For additional information on its history, read here.